Tuesday, March 17, 2009

One Night Stand

I took my work home today, and it's bound to keep me busy all night long.

I'm having a one night stand with my work, and that's not a good thing. Especially knowing that if I really wanted that kind of attention, I could have a human alternative who is not unresponsive pieces of paper :p

I made my first blunder on the job that will surely teach me a lesson that I shall remember for as long as I will be working with Wolters Kluwer as a sub-editor. What I learned today was to check in my work every half an hour or so. Or in simpler terms, save your work every half an hour or so.

Miss Smarty Pants over here, not having experienced any malfunctions with the canggih system as of yet, did not save her work as often as she should. It did not really cross her mind. Tambah pulak they don't actually call it 'save', so automatically I did not think to 'save' my work; eventhough there was a somewhat similar function. Therefore, everything she was working on for the past three hours or so disappeared. It bloody disappeared! And the amount of work that she has gotten done would have amounted to 100+ pages if it was printed out. That's just a little bit, you say? True, it is not that much. But believe you me, when you have to look at it on a monitor screen for hours on end reading about Australian Tax, it takes longer than you might think. Proofreading very dry articles about tax needs rereading several times to grasp its meaning as well as to find suitable ways to change it. So yeah, very much longer.

If it was just me, then it wouldn't be much of a problem. But it is a teamwork thing, and I need it done asap to get it passed to the next person for the next step before publishing. Having this hold it back would eat up alot of time I do not have.

*sigh*

I was close to crying and/or pulling my hair out. It has been a very tiring day today with my having a slight case of migraine, so I did not need this kinda crap at 4pm, when I was just an hour away from home sweet home. But well, it's just one of those things....I've learned a very useful lesson today.

Always check-in. Otherwise you'll be having one night stands.

Anyhow, I am in for a night full of tax and fund. Don't you wish you were me? Not.

Linzy~

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment