Monday, March 16, 2009

Lethargy, My Friend

Lethargy has become the annoying neighbour that drops in on you at the worst times possible. It maniacally rings the doorbell like girl scouts trying to make quota (Thanks, Anya). Its incessant ringing are dull thuds that, despite it being a pain, lulls me into compliance. It's hypnotizes me into doing its bidding...Ah, how weak I am.

I find myself falling into an uncharacteristic pattern of slumbering late in the afternoon after work. The dimming horizon casts a very soft glow in my bedroom that gives off a welcoming warmth that just begs for a lie in bed. And pretty soon, I'll find myself snoozing right up til dark.

It's not something of the usual. I never sleep during Maghrib. I've been taught not to. And when I do, it means that I am tired beyond my control, and nothing can wake me. And despite it being a very restful sleep, I wake up with a huge migraine, and the same-size guilt to boot. Those two make for un-best friends.

It's hard to fight off, that intoxicating lethargy that just tempts you to bed like a lover. It embraces you within the folds of a warm blanket and with the comfort of fluffy pilllows. It's just too much to turn away from sometimes.

And I have been tired. Looking at words and words and words on the screen mentally exhausts me. I love my job, and I enjoy doing it; and I appreciate it very very much that I have a job; but it taxes me in ways I didn't think I would. And the part of the day where I go home to an empty room doesn't make for the jollies to perk me up. Hence, sleeping the sleep.

I have managed to get out of that groove, though; by occupying my idle time with things like doing the laundry, vacuuming, sprucing up the room, watching videos and lately, talking for hours with my housemates, Jida especially. She'd be sitting on my bed laughing away, while I busy myself with folding clothes or putting stuff away. We actually can converse. I always worry that I can't talk to a person, but Jida is the type who can talk about anything under the sun, so it's pretty easy. We'll have a laugh and just talk about whatever comes to mind. So it's a good way to lure me out from the shade of sleepiness.

Sleep or none, I have to find a way to get active. This routine I've gotten into has me hardly making full use of my limbs, and my inactivity has made me sluggish and lazy. I need to get back into moving...and it doesn't help that my erratic eating habits (that is for another another post) has made me gain weight... So all the more reasons for me to get off my lazy ass and get a move on.

Anyhow, lethargy, I have got the better of you. I did not buy your girl scout cookies! Muahahahaha!

Love,
Linzy~

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment