Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Haunting

Here I am. Just a week and a half shy from working at WKESP for two months. So far it has been good. It's been tough going through learning things you had no knowledge of and then having to apply it in such a short span. I hardly had the time to really understand it. But it's ok, after all, nothing comes free; so you just gotta work for it til you get it. And at least I have my fellow teammates who are ever helpful and ready to impart their knowledge.

But nothing prepared me for this. The work that I had to bring home the other night is the one I am still working on. It just hates me so. It's a very very long commblock--maybe you can say chapter in a way--with many many subchapters within it. So what I'm dealing with here is a very very long file that needs editing.

That's not the problem, cos it's doable, and it's what I signed up for anyway. But what happens is that, after editing every single thing (apart from grammar; punctuation, format, html taggings, linking etc.), it will either :
a) shut down by itself
b) tell me it is corrupted when I try to open it, or
c) tell me I did something wrong and it needs to shut down.
Either way it chooses to torment me, it will all mean one thing:
Every single change/editing that I have done would be gone, gone, GONE!

So for the past few days, I have been furiously retyping, re-editing, re-linking and everything else. I even went to work an hour early to rectify the blunder. It's frustrating, really. I have a deadline to meet, and being new, I didn't want to seem like I wasn't making an effort; but the bloody commblock was making it so hard for me. I also had to send it in for review to make sure I have done everything correctly and have spotted every mistake, which would take up more time I didn't have. So I sent it in, telling my reviewer that I had to skip the little things first, cos I needed it in a hurry; and he should just check the grammar first and I will work the details later to save time. But what do I get when he sends in the review report? He tells me that I did not notice the double spacings, did not check punctuation etc etc. WTH? I just told him I couldn't cos of limited time and the bloody software was not being cooperative.

Fuming and seething with anger and frustration, I got to doing it all over again. Despite this last step of the job, I still went through hell putting in the last changes and accepting the previous changes. It still shut down on me every now and then and told me it was corrupted at certain points. *sigh* It was really just testing my patience.

At 5.30pm, still being at the office and still working on it without much success, I met my Team Leader in the washroom. She commented that I look tired, so I went into a tirade about what I was going through. And she told me that perhaps it was the 'haunted' commblock.

Haunted commblock?

Apparently, this commblock is quite notorious for having a million and one problems. It comes up with this crap all the time... And I bewilderedly sighed, why didn't anyone tell me???

At least I could have taken precautions and would know what to expect. At least I would be more careful and do things in a certain way to avoid running into the part where it shuts itself down. Why why why???

*sigh* But never mind. Too late now. Perhaps no-one expected it to happen again. Tomorrow I'll probably be done wrestling with it and I won't have to suffer again til next time. If only I knew sooner... Arghh!!!!

I felt like pulling my hair out.

I wanted to go out to watch a movie and unwind, but Ayus is busy tonight...just my luck.

Anyway, I need to get destress myself, so I am waiting for my Ares to finish downloading Slumdog Millionaire so that I can watch that instead. Was gonna order pizza all to myself, but decided not to (my health and wallet were the monkeys on my back telling me not to). So I shall just chew on my maple syrup oat clusters then.

Hopefully tonight I won't get haunted by commblock 680....

Love,
Haminudin

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment