Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ayin & Ayus 2 : Food Misadventure 1

I just came back from Ayus', after eating a huge piece of meringue that she bought in Singapore whilst having lunch with Yasmin Ahmad. That was quite a story to tell while we were chowing down on that little mountain of egg white and sugar, topped with pistachios.

With Ayus, life is a non-stop eating spree.

And while she is enjoying every single bit of sinfully delicious foods that are laden with an abundance of sugar, fats, salt and everything else that you shouldn't have too much of; I'm here thinking, "Where the bloody hell does it all go to?"

I am not a person who cares much about weight. I care about health, yes (ocassionally when not blinded by yummylicious food); but I couldn't give a damn about what people think of my weight. I am who I am no matter how I look like. As long as I do not suffer from any health problems or can fit into the clothes I so love; I'm happy. I cannot stand it when I just happen to not be in the mood to have lunch that day, and someone says, "Diet ke?". Screw you. So what if I don't wanna eat? Does that automatically mean I'm on a diet? And so what if I am, or not? Why do you have to jump to conclusions about me not being happy being the way I am? Why do you have to jump to the conclusion that my dream is to be stick thin? I don't, cos I don't envy the look. It's stupid, really. Even worse are the type of people you just met or haven't seen in the longest time. The first thing they'll say after the pleasantries and all are, "Sihatnya..", which is a Malay euphemism for "My, you're fat..". I couldn't give a rat's ass. But it pisses me off how it is your physicality that is judged first before anything else. And later they'll be like, "Oh, I didn't expect you to have brains beneath all that fat". Seriously, people like these need to get a life.

Anyway, I digress. I believe I was talking about last night's eating adventure with Ayus.

I was tired yesterday. I went to work early, and I battled with my commblock that just had something against me. I was mentally tired and was lack of sleep. So I did the first thing I that would solve my problems: I lay down on my bed as soon as I got into my room, got undressed and washed my face. What was intended to be a short nap became a deep sleep; and the next thing I know, it was almost 9pm. I was groggy and had a minor migraine and felt bad for yet again sleeping through Maghrib.

Just as I checking my e-mail for updates on my latest online buys, Ayus called. Our brief, quickfire conversation went something like this:
Ayus: Oi, I'm hungry. Jom.
Ayin: I'm tired.
Ayus: I don't care.
Ayin: You go ahead.
Ayus: Come down.
Ayin: Huh?
Ayus: I'm already in front of Block C.
Ayin: F*ck. *
Ayus: Get dressed. We're waiting.
Ayin: Fine.
*click*
*I don't usually swear, but the moment just called for it.

So I put on my pants and t-shirt and headed down, half-disoriented. As soon as I got in the car, I was bombarded by Fairuz and Fairuz's argument about where to eat. Ayus was hungry and wanted something that was filling but light; in other words, a variety of finger food. And Fairuz wanted Sago Gula Melaka. So after much deliberation, me excluded as I was in no mood to eat, they headed to somewhere they have tried sago before.

Before I had any chance to ask where that 'somewhere' is, we turned the corner and was at Cyberview Lodge. Okaaay...was my thinking, both at the thoughts a) typical Ayus to want to eat at the weirdest places but can actually think I am weird for eating weird foods that she has never heard of i.e. paru goreng (Ayus, again, lemme reiterate; you'll find it in any Malay restaurant, it's you who is weird for not dining on Malay food regularly, you Western food freak :p), and b) when it the world did they come to Cyberview Lodge together..hmmmm.....that's a question for another day.

We parked and we walked in. There I was in scruffy jeans with a stain somewhere from some time ago and flip-flops. Ayus was in yoga gear, since she just got back from her class. And Fairuz was in what he termed as baju tidur aka jammies. Yeah, we were a classy bunch. We walked around and looked at the pool, where I promptly walked off after a toad came hopping after me (I've stayed at Cyberview before anyway, so I didn't really need to see the pool; so there), and then walked to the restaurant.

We entered and had a look at the menu, they didn't have sago gula melaka, and so we left. But Ayus saw something else on the menu that she wanted to try, so we turned back to the restaurant. An Indonesian girl who could barely speak English sat us down. Ayus ordered the Mozarella fritters that she wanted (so much for classy. Ordering fried cheese indeed :p), along with some bread rolls with butter, and some juice. I spotted this concoction that was supossedly for low blood, migraine and heaty bodies. Perfect.

When our orders arrived, in typical manner, we chowed on each others food; well, mostly Ayus' since she was the one who ordered. As I expected, the mozarella fritters were some gourmet version of BK's mozarella sticks. Except, that instead of the three you would get from BK, it was one piece that was cut into five squares, served with a thin slice of garlic bread and a dip. But heck, I preferred BK's; at least they taste cheesy there. The bread rolls were the usual with the butter and all, and the concoctions were just several juices from fruits combined. Lastly, Ayus wanted ice-cream. Ice cream in a hotel cafe? My guess? Just one little scoop. But Ayus was quite sure they'd serve it banana boat style with all the works, i.e. fruits, nuts and whipped cream on top. Well, she did get the fruit, whip cream and a chocolate roll, but the ice-cream was just a single, very very small scoop. *sigh*

We all shared gourmet ice-cream of which I could not remember the flavour, while I thought that Baskin Robbins would have assuaged an ice-cream craving for the same price. But nevermind. It's an experience to learn from anyway. When we were done, Ayus whipped out her credit card and payed for the meal. Well, thank you, Ayus; but I really do think we would have enjoyed a heartier meal if we splashed on our normal pizzas. Ah well.

Left for home, cos Ayus wanted to share the meringue she bought with me. So we got back to her place while Fairuz took off to go out with his friends. The meringue was as big as a guy's palm, and it was so hard to break to eat. But after some ketuking, I managed to break the Mount Fuji of a meringue. It was nice, if not for the after-guilt that I felt and the feeling like I might lose all my teeth the next day. Watched That 70s Show while we ate and surprised Ayus with a soalan cepumas that she did not answer...but if my usual reading into those words unsaid or words said and how they're said are in order, my suspicions are true....hmmmm.

Left Ayus' at 11.30pm cos I needed to get back to shower and get some sleep before I start another day at work.

Got back thinking that I was damn full from eating loads of junk. I don't usually do the junk eating, since I'd rather be eating proper; and will only chow on junk later if I wanted to. Hmmm...difference of lifestyles, I guess. But I might just call on Ayus for that pizza today after work. I can hear my tummy grumbling...

Really, I love food. There are so many flavours to try in this world and I want to enjoy them as much as I can. I cannot understand those who don't want to eat or can't eat. It's just weird to me. And I don't mind splashing a bit of money every now and then for some quality food. But not too often, and not for snacks. If I was gonna eat at a gourmet restaurant at a hotel, I'd have gone for a full-blown meal. And there are just some things you know you can get better for a lesser price. So sometimes I don't understand people who go to expensive restaurants by default, as well. I'm happy with nasi campur or mamak food or regular ice-cream from your local kedai runcit. I'm not stingy, but just practical. Expensive doesn't necessarily mean better, and sometimes it's just too much to pay anyway. So yeah, the food adventure with Ayus struck me as odd and unnecessary.

Hence, there ends another food adventure with Ayus. It's nothing much, just the cirsumstances that makes it all the weird. Anyhow, life's been weird since I moved to Cyberjaya. And I think it'll only get weirder.

:p *

*Here, I mean it as my usual smiley to express the ludicrous-ness I feel sometimes. But I have another story about this smiley, perhaps in another entry, if I remember.

Signing off,
Ayin

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment