Sunday, February 08, 2009

Horny Ox

Hey, oxen do have horns, okay? Don't give me that look :p

With it being the year of the ox and everything; which, by the way, means that I have completed two cycles of the Chinese lunar years, which makes me 24 this year; I thought I'd have a little ox-themed entry:


For the past month or so, I've been ordering sup ekor (oxtail soup) whenever I find myself in a good ol' Malay restaurant. Sri 9, which is near my place in Seremban, is one particular place where I would order nothing else but. There's no particular reason as to why, but I just love it.

Perhaps there's something about the flavour that I find irresistable. And the tender texture of the meat. And the combination of celery, onions, tomatoes, daun sup etc mixed into the soup; topped with bawang goreng and daun bawang that gives the soup its delicious flavour. Plus, of course, the spices and little things added to that.

One day, after a nice bowlful of hot sup ekor; I said heartily: "God, I love sup ekor". My mom quickly turned to me and told me that I might not wanna say that out loud in public. Upon asking her why, she said that sup ekor is considered (I'm not sure which, but still, associated with something sexual) an aphrodisiac or eaten to up one's prowess or something like that. And supposedly, those who eat it regularly have the intention of adding stamina for their...uhh...bedroom antics.

Well, so far I've not showed any signs of turning into a wanton, randy sex kitten, so I've yet to test that theory.

To me, I can't make a connection as to how or why. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Love, Lin~

2 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm quite certain that any food in the shape of, how do I phrase this correctly, "a certain piece of the male anatomy that is long and tube-like" has throughout history been linked to a sexual theory. Take for example, "Fried Tiger Dong" in Korea. So I'm guessing that "Sup Ekor" is Malaysia's version of KFD (Korean Fried Dong). Hot Dog anyone? :)

- DSD Hellas

Hazlin Aminudin said...

Ugh, the whole phallic symbolism thing again...

I didn't really think of that since it's all chopped up and no longer looking 'long and tube-like'. But thank you for pointing that out; now whenever I wanna sit down to a nice hot bowl of 'sup ekor', I'd have that in my mind :p Way to ruin my appetite, Idzaid.

Now it looks like I have to resort to stealing 'ikan masin' and putting them in my pocket for lunch :p

Post a Comment