Friday, February 06, 2009

Food for My Thoughts

It was the second day of training today at work. It's going ok, I guess; it's quite a lot to digest in just a few days and we are doing a lot. Like my trainer, Azlina, said; we'd only remember about 10% of what we learn, because most of it will be absorbed when we are put to the test when we do our work.

So, there's me. An SE. That's what they call us sub-editors. And what do we do? Well, we work closely with the editor of a certain publication and also with the production editor. The editor will pass a certain 'product' (a text) to the production editor who will format it with XML taggings and layouts and all that technical stuff. It will then be passed to the sub-eds or SEs like me, to be checked for grammatical errors, spelling errors etc as well as to check the XML taggings. So, my job requirements will have me sit in front of the PC all day and look at each word and sentence to ensure they all are ready for publishing. It's a long and tedious process; and I haven't even told you what happens next.

Anyhow, this was what we were discussing during training; about what I would face in the future and how I need to have a very keen eye for little details. Even more is the fact that I am working with Australia B, meaning that I will be working with the team that handles publications from Australia. According to someone, working in that team reqiures a certain sense of professionalism, because they handle expensive and important products.

Sheesh, talk about pressure, huh?

We then moved to the topic of hiring sub-editors. I asked Azlina, why was it that sub-editors are so much in demand? I mean, every time I open up Jobstreet.com, there will always be a vacancy to be a sub-editor for WKESP. Apparently, the requirements to be an SE is very demanding, so it's hard to find good candidates. There has been 9 vacancies for SEs since August last year, and out of the 9, ony 1 has been filled: by me.

As it turns out, there have been about 200+ applications to fill the vacancies, and they all fail the test. Editors and journalists and writers have all come in, and yet they couldn't pass. And then there was me, who passed all 3 sections, or 5 sections (including the online tests) of the tests that I had to take.

I was told that I should be flattered. A fresh graduate and I surpass experienced editors and writers? That's a little hard to swallow. Yes, I am flattered, and also a little bit disbelieving. I can't possibly beat those people to the job, can I? It was quite a lot to digest when Azlina told me that. In the many months that they've been looking for SEs, only I fit the bill so far.

That has been food for my thoughts the whole day. It's an honour, really. I know that I am better than the average amongst most of my peers, but never thought I could be that good. This is really a huge flattery. But it's good to know that my capabilities can be put to use somewhere. And in the future, if I choose to leave the company, since the company is known for it's employees with good grammar, so many other companies accept ex-WKESPs easily, so that's a plus.

Anyway, it has left me with a good feeling. And to anyone reading, this is not an angkat bakul sendiri or 'carrying my own basket' story; it's just that it's been the pick-me-up for my entire day and it makes me feel good. Just wanted to put my thoughts into words whilst sharing and not that I intend to be such a show-off.

By the way, in case any of you people are interested in working there, they are accepting resumes right now... Right up til every SE post is taken up. So do let me know if you're interested.

Love, Lin~

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment