Thursday, January 15, 2009

"You're Hired"

This happened Monday morning at around 11am:

I was listening to the noise on the tv, not paying too much attention to what was going on cos I was on the laptop at the same time; the remote control was too far away for me to bother getting up and turning the tv volume down. My mom was on the couch, snoozed off while watching whatever it was on the tv screen.

I was engrossed by the laptop as per usual. My head was spinning from my wondering whether W-K will be calling me anytime soon and from the dream of my being hired by them... I guess I've been so worried and have been overanalyzing my interview too much that it's been messing with my brain like those little birdies that circle around when you bump your head in cartoon shows. Ah yes, welcome to the crazy mind of Linzy.

Then, my phone rang.

I looked at it like it was a lifeline and dived for it in a flurry. The screen read: Wolters-Kluwer. My heart leaped and I went to the kitchen where it was quiet and talked to Mr. Raymond (from before).

He told me that my interviewers found me capable in handling the job, coupled with my passing the tests, and they...jengjengjeng...would like to hire me! I could have screamed and jumped up and down like a madwoman if not for my wanting to sound professional.

I listened to Mr. Raymond and some of his explanations. He didn't say much, but promised that he would call next week to confirm some things so I could come to the office and discuss my employment further. He wouldn't be able to see me this week as he had to go somewhere. However, he did declare February 2nd as the date my employment commences; although I am not clear on whether that date would be the date I first come in, or that I will be sent for training as was mentioned in my interview *shrug*. I don't know all that for sure yet, but it's just good to know that I am gonna be given a job! And paid for doing something I like. Hehe.. Happy happy happy me *gigantic grin*.

Apart from that, he did ask me to name a price for my paycheck *grin*. I'm glad he said that I gave him a reasonable asking price that he could work on (Mind you, Cyberjaya's cost of living is high). So I'll be looking forward to a hefty paycheck...albeit, with the huge rent that I would potentially pay and all the bills included, I'll probably be left with just a little to splurge on myself and people I love.

Other than that, I'd have to wait til he calls. He said that I could always call his assistant should I need to ask anything. I tried calling today, but no one picked up :P

It took me a while to write this (four days, in fact) mainly cos I was still in a daze. I cannot believe it, and it is only today that I feel much better to actually say it quite freely. On the tippy-top of that, I still am abit wary of shouting it out to the world. In my mind, without anything in black and white, and my having not meet them yet; I feel as though they can take back the offer just like that. I have this fear that maybe they'll reconsider and hire someone else instead. I'm very sure they won't do something like that, now that they've told me they've hired me, but I wanna be safe and very very sure. I wanna see them and talk it our and then really be sure that they've hired me.

But for all intents and purposes, they have verbally told me that I am hired. Yes, I am a future sub-editor for Wolters-Kluwer and will start work on the 2nd of February 2009.

Yeay!!! My first job! Woo-hoo! Yeay me!

Wish me luck!

Love, Lin~

P/S: Dear Anonymous reader/commentor, I hope that you, too, have been hired. Would be nice to meet someone I already somewhat "know" during training. All the best!

8 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Lin! You've got it!!!!!

Truly happy for ya!!! Cheers!

Sigh...I haven't got any further news about the job. Duh....

Anyway, I'm sincerely happy for you! Hurray!

ms polka sara said...

Tahniah diucapkan (seperti yang dijangkakan!!).

:P

Anonymous said...

Hi Lin, Congratulations! I'm also a new hire (as of Sep. 08) at Wolters Kluwer, but in Amsterdam. Good luck with everything, it's a great company to work for. What exactly will you be doing? Are you on Linkedin? There's quite a large, international Wolters Kluwer community on there. Look us up!

Hazlin Aminudin said...

Thank you everyone for all the wishes. It sure feels great to know that there are people who believe in my abilities.

Anonymous; thank you so much for your sincere wishes. Even if you don't get this post, I'm sure you'll get something soon. Who knows, maybe you were destined for other things.

Sarah; thanks a bunch. The fact that you kept saying that you had a feeling I'd get the job stuck in my head and made me quite sure I'd get it :)

Veena; thank you, congrats on your appointment and I'm glad to be soon joining the club aka W-K community as a sub-editor :) I'm sure to look up Linkedin once I'm officially signed in. Will be looking forward to it.

Again, thank you all. Now, when do I hear from Mr. Raymond...?

Mrs Wan Kasim Wan Kadir said...

Linzyy,

dis is mimi. maj's friend. ring a bell?

Anyhoo, CONGRATS dear.
I know you can pulled it off.
Hey lets meet once you have settled in cyberjaya eh.
Me, maj and yumi always had our 'fiday meeting'.open for workaholic only. and you certainly one.

good luck.

p/s: what i heard from my friend who work at WK, the job involves a lot of stress. So please hang in there k. I know you can do it.

hugs,
mimi

Hazlin Aminudin said...

Heya Mimi!

Haiya, no need to keep reminding me who you are, I remember you lah. Hehe.. Thanks a bunch, I'm really looking forward to starting work there. It seems like fun. And I'll definitely join you guys for your Friday meetings once I've become a workaholic myself :)

Banyak stress, eh? No wonder la time interview tu they kept on bombarding me with questions about stress.. Hopefully I can handle it. Anyway, what's your friend's name? Nanti I can get to know her/him once I work there.

Again, thanks Mimi; and for the tips, too.

*hugs right back*

Anonymous said...

Hi Lin,

I've got a call from WK. According to their information, I'll be probably not in the same batch/team as yours. Anyway, we shall meet soon!

Cheers!

Hazlin Aminudin said...

Hiya,

wow, that's great! Congratulations. Am so very happy and glad for you. Well, eventhough we won't start work at the same time, we'll probably bump into each other soon.

Will see you then :)

Post a Comment