Friday, January 23, 2009

The (mis)Adventures of Linzy Part 35843

As excitedly advertised by yours truly before, my contract signing with my future employers was yesterday. I had to be there at the office in the morning and so I took my normal route to Cyberjaya. Well, partly normal..

My usual route when going to Cyberjaya would be following my dad on his way to work, and he'll drop me off at the Seremban train station. There I would get myself a komuter ticket to get to Bandar Tasik Selatan. From there I'd switch train and take the ERL to the Cyberjaya/Putrajaya station. It is a detour, I know, but there ain't much more convenient options. Anyway, so when I get to the Cyberjaya ERL station, I'd usually get myself a cab to the office or Ayus' apartment. That would usually cost from between RM11-15, well, that's my estimate. So, yesterday, since I got there a little early (I managed to catch the last train early morning train), I'd try my luck by taking the RapidKL bus, which saves me a whole lotta cash. And after milling about a little lost and lining up in the wrongline and all, I finally got on the right one, which is bus T149.

Being me, my thoughts often fly when I am in a car. I like daydreaming when I'm in a car or any moving vehicle, so yeah, riding the bus was no different. The next thing I knew I saw my office rapidly fading from view as the RapidKL bus drove on, err, rapidly. At first I thought, It'll pass by that route again. But then, I also was worried that it might not. So, I decided, a little too late, that I will get down at the next stop and catch a cab. I did, and then waited for a cab. But when no cab passed by, I thought I'd walk further up. Still no cab. Nevermind, just a little further. And still no cab. I soon was changing my heels to my trusty selipar jepun that I had stashed in my bag. And soon, it became apparent that I won't be getting any cabs, I just walked on to the office. Yup, I walked about 2km (the first kilometer in heels) to the office on a dry, hot morning.

It wasn't so bad. I mean, I'm not averse to walking and don't feel like I am sacrificing my standards when I do, so I just walked on. The only downside to walking is that, being me, I was sweating profusely and it ruined any make-up I had on. My hair was quite soaked with perspiration and my top was, too. So, it didn't make for a good impression sight. Ugh, if there was one thing I would love to change about myself is that; the generous amount of sweat glands that I have.

Oh, and the other bad side to it was getting wolf whistles from the construction workers on the other side of the road. Also, honks from people in cars with their suggestive smiles and leers. One even somewhat stopped and asked me whether I needed a ride... Errr, I'd rather walk. I was very glad when I turned the corner to FSBM.

As soon as I got into the office, I found myself a washroom and changed back into heels, cooled down, adn reapplied make-up. When I finally made it to the fourth floor, where the Wolters-Kluwer office is situated, I was somewhat more presentable (minus my semi-wet clothes and hair). Thankfully, the air-conditioning was out that day, so they attributed my sweating to that.

*Phew*

So, Mr. Raymond and I talked a while and he handed me my contract and had me read it first. Everything seemed well in order, other than the surprise that working hours started at 6pm. I so know my father wouldn't be keen on that. But Mr. Raymond did say that the team leader would usually start from between 8-9am, so no worries about coming in at 6am... The only problem is if the team leader, too, wants to start at 6am :P

After I signed everything, all that was left was for me to come in on the 2nd of February. On paper, I am now officially an employee of Wolters-Kluwer Ent. Services Partners Sdn. Bhd. as a sub-editor! Yay me!

When I left, I felt good inside, and now very very determined on looking for a room to rent. So I took a cab to Ayus' place (suddenly ade lah pulak. Tadi takde. Grr Argh) and we both went apartment hunting.

As it turns out, the apartments that are owned by agencies there are in terrible terrible shape. They are so hell-bent on maximizing profits that they sacrifice safety and cleanliness and livability altogether. They restructure the interiors by getting rid of the living room by making partitions to make rooms. So instead of just having 2 or 3 rooms per apartment, it becomes a 5 to 6 room apartment. It's so horrible. And the condition of the place is just pathetic. At this one place I looked at, part of the kitchen was made into a bedroom and it stank to high heaven. Outside, what was left of the living room, foyer and kitchen was in a frightful condition. Mess was everywhere and it was gloomy and dingy. It looked like something out of a C grade horror movie came to life. Also, at one apartment, to make another room, they somehow put up planks over, what I was told by Fairuz, an old flight of stairs. So, if you were to knock on the flooring, it was actually hollow, making the stability and safety questionable. Or, as Fairuz Guy said. The apartment below, which is also owned by the same agency, have guys living there. So I'd either, a) fall through the floor, causing the room below's floor to also cave in, or b) fall through the floor into the guys apartment where I'll be their snack. Thank you very much, neither is an option :s Other than those horrifying compartment rooms, which made IIUM (even MCIIUM) a thousand times better, I also had a look at some which were nice, ut had their prices hiked up to an extra RM200 or so, which is just too ridiculous. So I said 'no' to all of them.

At the end of the day, I earned myself a job, but am still apartment-less. However, this Sunday I'll ba having a look at a master bedroom which is quite reasonably priced, and if everything's fine, I'll be taking it straightaway.

So, that's my misadventure for yesterday. I know it's not as crazy as the time when I locked myself out of the room naked or getting lost in a red-light district, but it was something nonetheless. Besides, I did leave out some details like when that crazy Indian lady approached me asking whether I needed a place and insisting that I stay with her where everybody's vegetarian. And also how one agent who showed me one house looked so scary, especially knowing that he's got keys to all the rooms....I guess it can be said to be one of the trials and tribulations I have to go through in getting a job, and an apartment :P

Anyhow, most importantly is this:

This is a Wolters-Kluwer sub-editor signing out,
Linzy~

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment