Thursday, April 30, 2009

Anywhere but Here

It's 4.30pm on a Thursday afternoon, and there's nothing more to do than stare blankly at the monitor that isn't displaying the usual green, red and black text that needs editing, but just e-mails about the publishing software outage. I am trying hard not to fall asleep. Worrying about my products that need finishing. And wondering how my Sayang is doing on his job in Kelana Jaya; and thinking about how much I miss him.

I wish I am anywhere but here.

This is a game I play often on days that pass by a little too slow. I orchestrate fantasies to play at the back of my mind for some excitement in my otherwise mundane day.

I wish I am:

On a private island with Ash, just me and my man; blue skies reflected on the clear waters of the sea, so clear that you can see the fishes and the corals, the waves calm and playing a subtle rhythm in the background as it builds up and breaks along the beach, white smooth sand at my feet and in between my toes, coconut palms swaying and making cool patches of shade to hide from the glaring sun, and a gentle, cool breeze blowing in my hair. I'm thinking, Blue Lagoon; minus the human-sacrificing natives, of course. I want it to be our private island with a private villa overlooking the sea and a private boat to cruise on. The villa would be generously furnished for us to enjoy; it'll be cozy and homey with couches we can sink into, a big soft bed with fluffy pillows, fully stocked fridge, tvs and game consoles, huge bathroom, tv lounge with wide-screen tv to watch movies.....*sigh* All that and more. It'll be a perfect getaway hideaway. A home away from home. And deep within the island, there will be beautiful rivers and waterfalls to bathe and lounge in. Maybe even raft on and float all the way down to the sea. And I imagine spending languid hours on the sand underneath the shade and just taking in the beauty of everything without a care. Just absorbing the beauty and serenity of it all and just be filled with contentment. We can watch the sun disappearing in the horizon at sunset and wake early to greet the dawn in the early morning. I will scour the beach in the day and collect seashells when the tide yields its treasure to the sand, so that I could make jewelry and ornaments. I can wear sun dresses that I love so much and run barefoot. Heck, I can wear bikinis of so many colours. It's my island, after all. I don't have to care about people watching. I can wear them skimpy scraps of fabric and need not worry about disapproving eyes. I can spend days and days in the arms of the person I love whom I hardly get to see, and when I do see, time is too short; and I can be away from work, work, work, work....

If I was anywhere but here.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Love,
Hazlin

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment