Tuesday, September 16, 2008

By the Way

"Oh, by the way, he's still single."

Stop. Backtrack. My internal monologue that usually moves full-throttle, full speed ahead suddenly faulted and crashed with a pregnant "Huh?!".

My next reaction was: "Surprisingly" tossed back at the friend several seconds too late, said with a laugh when what I really wanted to say was: "What the bloody heck is that supposed to mean?".

I mean, really. What was that supposed to mean? You're walking along the hallways, and you suddenly bump into a mutual friend you share with a person whom you used to date. That's all fine and dandy especially seeing how your former flame is still a good friend of yours and the person in common is a nice person whom you've occassionally engaged in a conversation with. But, discount all that, what was that last statement, added almost as an afterthought as the friend walked away in the opposite direction, meant to convey?

Sure, my former is back. But unlike the usual tradition, he doesn't throw in his customary "Hey, I'm back. Lets catch up over cakes at Secret Recipe" once he touches ground here in Malaysia. My feeling is perhaps he is respecting the fact that I'm not single anymore. And I'm grateful for that because I've reconciled with the fact that we're through and that friendship is all there is between us. I am deeply in love with Ash, and am in no way considering any alternatives.

But what is this that people keep insinuating?

Sure, we still hung out after we broke up, mostly paying homage to the fact that we've been lifelong friends, and we've been there for each other throught alot, whether or not we were dating at the time. Sure, in that time there was that glimmer of hope that maybe we'd pick up where we left off, but I banished all thoughts when I found myself falling for the person I wear my Claddagh the way I wear it for. But others, well, they're either not up-to-date of the changing times or just refuse to acknowledge that.

Newsflash!
I am taken. No doubt about it, no questions asked. If you have any problems, please dial 1-800-GETOVRIT.

By the way, you're still one of my best friends, Idzaid; and I've nothing against you. But, I'm just a little tired of this people-wanting-us-to-get-back-together thing. It's a little too late for that now...and other people should realize that, too.

Love, Linzy~

1 comment(s):

Hazlin Aminudin said...

I thought I'd add this as an afterthought;

This friend probably meant nothing by it. Come to think about it, I think it was just an innocent comment meant as nothing more than it is. But at that time, I was a little on edge about some comments that have been made, and construed other like-sounding words to be conveying the same message. So do excuse this sudden rant, especially if you, Idzaid, reads this :p

Post a Comment