Sunday, July 18, 2004

The murder of "Arthur"

I witnessed a massacre. There was a murder right in front of our very eyes and no one flinched. No one even winced in pain. Save for me. I watched King Arthur and I watched a legend die along with it.

Yes, I did go watch King Arthur even though I said in another entry that I wouldn’t think of giving up my $9 to the people who committed murder. Well, it wasn’t my money. It was my Uncle’s. You see, when I was at my Uncle and Aunt’s last weekend, they said they wanted to have a movie marathon: Spidey and Arthur back to back. So I said ok.

Spidey was ok I guess. I always had a thing against Tobey Maguire, so I never got around watching the first but I basically knew what it was about. But yeah, it was all right. And right after that, we caught a midnight Arthur. And that was when tragedy struck.

The second the movie started, I was already criticizing it. I couldn’t help it. Mind you, I didn’t say it out loud. Of course I’m not one of those kind of people who talks loudly in the cinemas and spoil it for everyone else. Like the family who sat behind me during Spidey… Anyways, so, like I said, it was a disaster.

How can they say that they made the movie based on new archaeological findings? Honestly, they never even found proof that the knights of the Round Table existed. It’s all based on myth if not legend. As for me, myth or legend; I don’t care. I’ve always liked the Arthurian legend/myth.

First of all, Lancelot only came into the picture long after Lady Guinevere and Arthur got married. And why the heck did they make him into such a playboy? Nevermind the fact that he did manage to seduce Guinevere, he was reluctant because he was loyal to Arthur but he just can’t himself from falling for Guin. But in the movie, they did show a bit of a chemistry between them but never did elaborate. So for a person with no Arthurian background, it’ll all mean nothing.

How do I know all this you ask? How am I sure? Well, growing up with books and encyclopedias filled with these stories; it shouldn’t be surprising, should it? All my life, I’ve known the story of Arthur and his knights to be that way. And then you watch the movie that was supposed to be the movie among all Arthur movies; it seems like all that reading just went to Hell.

And it bothered me how they made Guinevere the way she was. She was supposed to be Lady Guinevere. Lady Guinevere! Not Xena, Warrior Princess. And Galahad. God, he’s supposed to be the one helluva good-looking guy and gallant to boot. Oh, and he’s mostly known for his chastity. But nope, they never bothered to make his character seem so. And Sir Gawain for God’s sake! He’s supposed to be Arthur’s nephew. And he’s supposed to be the strongest, but they made Lancelot that way. Sure Lancelot was supposed to be strong, but he was more towards fearless. He didn’t have Gawain’s strength.

Also, I hated how the story wasn’t about the search for the Holy Grail as Arthur was famous for. I wished it was that; for I thought that would shed more light on that quest for it. And the explanation about how Arthur got Excalibur is a bit different from what I read but it wasn’t really bad; so thank God. But the final straw was: WHY THE F*** DID THEY KILL OFF LANCELOT!!! He wasn’t supposed to die yet, goddamnit! He was said to die in a battle after the whole affair with Guin and after Arthur found out about. *Sigh* It really was a murder. I was seething through the entire movie. Why couldn’t they just stick to the said story? Sure they have all the special effects and what not. But that doesn’t mean that they can have free reign to tell the story. The movie behind the legend my boot-clad foot! Bodoh! Damn, if it was up to me… First Knight starring Richard Gere, Sean Connery and Julie Ormond (I think that’s her name) was ok enough. But they concentrated too much on Lancelot and Guin’s affair that Arthur was forgotten.

You know, I could go on and on and tell you about the flaw of the story. It was just so disappointing. I wish someone else comes up with a better movie sometime soon. The legend just has to be justified. And the whole Lancelot and Guin affair just has to be more elaborate. And the political marriage between Arthur and Guin just wasn’t explained enough. Poor Lancelot, they made him die. And damn, they made him so not good-looking too.

Yup, I admit it. I’m a real sucker for stories or tales on starcrossed lovers. Buffy and Angel, Guinevere and Lancelot, Romeo and Juliet, Liz and Max… yeah, all that. And watching King Arthur, besides the fact that it was so off the from the real story; I hated how they didn’t really show the chemistry between Lancelot and Guinevere. Stupid! Now I’ll have to wait another lifetime for someone to come up with a better version.

Speaking of Buffy, I went to Section 14 today. And please note that the scholarship is in. And yes people, I did but the Buffy season 5 DVDs that I have been eyeing for so long. Too bad Amcorp doesn’t sell season 2 and 3 anymore. That’s the one I really really really want. Bodo! But at least I have this one. I can’t wait to get back so I can watch them all. I just realized that it’ll take up almost the whole day if I were to watch them back to back. But so what? I’d be happy to do that. So yeah, just you wait. Spikey Wikey here I come!

Hmm...am watching My Life Without Me and I am so crying my heart out. I haven't had a good cry in ages. I started crying the second the movie started. It's just so...sad. Really, if you ever come across this movie in the shops, buy it and watch it. It's one of those life changing kinda movie.

Apart from that really long complaint on how stupid Arthur was, there really isn’t much that I want to talk about. I just finished the Leadership Training program (aka the Brainwashing Program) today and I’m dead tired. So I think I’ll have a snooze first. Till’ another time, bye.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment