Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Lone Me

I’ve been… I don’t want to say. Saying the words, or typing them for that matter, gives it life. Makes it real enough to jump out of the screen and consumes me whole. It commits my colourful life to the black and white of these words against the background. But unspoken or not, there’s no muting the echoing vacancies of unspent time.

I’ve been…lonely. There, I’ve said it. I didn’t want to. Words like that bounces off the walls when there’s no one in the room but you. And no pillow over ears could drown out the sound. I didn’t want to say it. Too proud to profess weakness. Too afraid to make it known. Too tired to make it any more the truth. But I have been, and I can’t shake it off.

I’ve found driving around aimlessly to be a companion. With music blasting to retain my focus, and sudden bursts of speed for a little rush, for a little sense of urgency. I stride about in shopping malls and browse shops just to do something than nothing at all. Staying at home and behind close doors only magnifies the emptiness of my room. So I walk out. I do what I can to occupy the long gaps of time ticking by. Otherwise all I hear is the loud crashings of the seconds-hand announcing the passing of moments gone by.

Friends that I could talk to are too far away. And I often wonder whether we’ve gotten out of touch. I know that we haven’t; cos when we meet we all fall into familiarity; but a lingering doubt reigns, having me dwelling on questions and wonderings. And even if I could see them, I’m not about to pull them into my sense of displacement. Nah, I can’t. Meeting with good friends who are far away is to be made a celebration. And the friends that I have close by, the ones I can easily see everyday, well, don’t live in the same book. Let alone be on the same page. They don’t know me, or think they know me to pass words that don’t belong to them for them to say.

Everyday I’ve been tempted to drive to see Ash. So many times. But time doesn’t permit. Traffic jams and the looming nighttime will only frustrate me more. I’d only have an hour or two, and then I’d have to go again. And times like this, that’s something that I can’t take. I need days. Hours will only find me lonelier, knowing that I’d have to let him go, and not being able to. I’m just counting until I could have days and days of quality time with my Sayang, and for the moment, I do not know when that is.

I’m lonely. I feel like I’m standing amongst people but cannot connect. I need to feel. I need to not feel lonely.

~Linzy

3 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know that I feel you. I went through the loneliness for almost half my teenage years and into my early adulthood, but never knew what to call it. Can you imagine that?

I chuckled to myself because I can remember those same drives :)
As support, what I can tell you is this: Through all of this you will find so much strength, and eventually that loneliness will fade. It will become comforting to know you do not need anyone to make you content except yourself..

Your sayang will just be a bonus :)

oceans may seperate the people of this world, but we are all struggling with the same things :)

Take care.

Byn Emms said...

this is the perfect time to be your own best friend and you will never be alone again

Hazlin Aminudin said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement and assurance, both of you.

I find alot of comfort in being by myself. It gives me long hours for self-reflection, and to rediscover myself and new parts of me. I suppose the past few days, after being told about my less-than-glowing review of my work so far, have left me feeling quite dejected and demotivated. And not having anyone to talk to, and having too much time to dwell on my frustrations, haven't been quite the right recipe for happiness.

But despite it all, I have wonderful people to help me up when I am in the gutter. Whether they are near or far, they are always a listening ear, or a shoulder for me to lean on. And with them, I can never stay down too long :)

Thanks.

Post a Comment