Saturday, August 09, 2008

'Usually' (Part 2 of 2)

Written for my Feature Writing class 'Song Interpretation' exercise on the 7th of August 2008.
For this exercise, I was inspired by Jewel's "Who will save Your Soul", and the song sets the mood for this story, almost like a soundtrack. I call this piece:


*****
"Usually"

These streets are nothing new to me, I've walked them a hundred times before, night after night. The sidewalk is weary from the clicking of my stilettos, carving a path that follows my rounds. It's rather hot tonight, the air is suffocating; but I've learned to wear my make-up so they'd stay on for hours. All night if needed, I look just like those pretty girls on tv, but it's just that I'm a nobody. Nobody sees me. Well, not the person I am anyways. Not my brains or my degree. I'm just a body. Another statistic is something happens to me. Nobody'll look for me... Business is slow tonight. But maybe he'll come looking for me. He usually does.
The traffic is nothing new to me. I've driven down this road more times than I can count. I can drive home with my eyes closed. I just might. Maybe that way I won't have to see the steadily piling stack of bills on the coffee table next to the phone. Anything than having to return to a home that feels more and more foreign... It's 10pm, and I should have been home hours ago. My wife's probably blankly watching tv, worried. Dinner's probably cold on the table. My son's probably already asleep for school tomorrow. He probably fell asleep wondering if he'll see me tonight. He used to wait up for me so I could tuck him in. He usually does. But he doesn't anymore. It's only 10pm, I've been later than this. Maybe I can swing by that street...She's usually there. She's usually waiting for me.
These wounds are nothing new to me. I've etched deeper wounds before than the ones tonight. They're so deep they don't hurt anymore. They just bleed. Not that anyone would realize if I bleed to death anyways. It's always been just me. Nobody else. Mom asks me how I am sometimes. Sometimes. Half-heartedly it seems. She's usually too busy crying in front of the tv to care much nowadays. Too busy to listen to me. Dad's probably coming home late tonight. He usually does nowadays... I think I'll cut a little deeper tonight. It comforts me. It usually does. It usually never fails me. Not the way others have.
*****

"People living their lives for you on tv, they say they're better than you and you agree. Boss says 'hold my calls' from behind closed doors. Boss says 'come here, boy. There ain't nothing for free'. Another doctor's bill, a lawyer's bill, another cute cheap thrill; you know you love him if you put him in your will but... who will save your soul? When you can't save your own?"
- 'Who Will Save Your Soul?' by Jewel

So there it is. Comments? Suggestions? Be gentle with it. we were only given 30-40 minutes to write it, and that includes time to think of a song as well. So I didn't have time to make it all fancy and stuff. That's the best I could come up with. Tell me what you think.
Oh, and by the way, I didn't mean to make it sound all gloomy, but that's what I get from the first verse. About how people are so caught up in materialism that people all around suffer. It's a harsh world we live in, but we need to take the time to appreciate the little things, and praise each day.
I know I do.
Love, Linzy~

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment