Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Today in (Last Year's) History ep. 2

As soon as I wrote that last entry, I couldn't help but look through my photoblog in my laptop and scanned through the pictures and dates to see what went on during the time (when I had my N70, I took random pictures almost daily and had them sorted by date and they act as a sort of pictorial journal). And as it turns out, my initial guess of what happened during the time was right on the money, just leaving out a few minor details.

As far as being on holiday and in Kulim, that was all correct. The only part that I left out was the bit that my father who was then working for a Japanese company (Fuji Electric), was on a business trip to Japan, leaving my mom, sister, brother and me alone at home. And that posed no problem, since we love Kulim so very much (in fact, I feel more at home there than I am in Seremban) and always find ways to occupy our time. However, there were things going on during the time that caused me to not sleep at night and have huge flashlights and all manner of weapons under my pillow and all around me.

Around the area I lived in, there was an alarming rise of rape cases. It had gotten so bad that there were cases almost every night, with the rapist breaking in with the sole intention of violating the women and nothing else. You can offer him money and jewelleries but he would just brush it away. He'd rape a person at knifepoint and there was not much a person could do. And the perpetrator(s) apparently keep tabs on which household does not have an adult male living in with them or are away; hence no risk of being met with complications.

Hearing all these stories made my blood boil and hair stand on end. Scared as I was, I was furious too at how people have it in them to violate another person's dignity. I couldn't understand it. And even more than that, my father was not around...

I had my mother, my sister and myself to worry about. My brother was 12 and was more likely to scream like a girl than help in the event of trouble. And being the worrier I am, and as the eldest child, I felt it fell to me. But even without that feeling of responsibility, the thought alone was enough to keep me awake at night. And stay amake I did. In my worry, I could not sleep.

Everytime I even thought to close my eyes, I'd be awakened by the slightest sound and walk around the house searching it out. We all slept downstairs those nights without my dad, with me sleeping at the door. I had a huge flashlight that could cause a concussion, sprays that could blind, various swissarmy blades, and a bat. I know that if anyone'd attacked I would be overpowered, but like hell I'd give up without a fight.

So, for several nights, that was the routine. And in the day, I'd fall into an exhausted sleep,
taking comfort in the day; while it can still be dangerous, but at least it did not supply the cover of darkness.

It feels quite long ago now. Especially since I'm no longer in Kulim and now in Seremban... But that at least marks itself as having been progress. Dynamic. However, come to think of it, this time last year, at 2.35pm, I was probably about to sleep after being up all night....Oh well.

Love, LinZy~

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment