Friday, October 31, 2008

Samhain

Happy Halloween! Well, not that I celebrate it or anything, but just for the heck of it, I thought I'd be extra festive today and get into the spirit of it. Well, I've been home and eventhough the main idea is to have the internet and do a bit of studying, instead I've been doing things...errr, other than studying. Well, ain't that the usual? Hence, the spirit of it is coupled with the spirit of takde kejeness (or nothing better to do-ness).

So yeah, today is All Hallow's Eve. I haven't much to say about it, seeing how it is not something I celebrate. Not even for the heck of it. It is just something I've watched in movies, read about and see on Buffy. That's the most of Halloween I've ever come close to. And since there's nothing much I can say in the way of explaining what it is about, allow me to do a Xeroxing job from Wikipedia:


Halloween has its origins in the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain (Irish pronunciation: [ˈsˠaunʲ]; from the Old Irish samain). The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture, and is sometimes regarded as the "Celtic New Year". Traditionally, the festival was a time used by the ancient pagans to take stock of supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores. The ancient Gaels believed that on October 31, now known as Halloween, the boundary between the alive and the deceased dissolved, and the dead become dangerous for the living by causing problems such as sickness or damaged crops. The festivals would frequently involve bonfires, into which bones of slaughtered livestock were thrown. Costumes and masks were also worn at the festivals in an attempt to mimic the evil spirits or placate them.

Quoting Buffy (Season 2, "Halloween"): Halloween is "come as you aren't night". Making it a perfect night to dress up and go crazy with no repercussions. So it got me thinking, what would I go as if I were to celebrate Halloween and dress-up?

Organized as my mind is, I broke it down into categories which are: TV/Movie themed, Period themed, Profession themed and Miscellaneous. Under the heading of TV/Movie themed, I was thinking of going Whedonesque, and either dressing up as a) a Browncoat, Malcolm Reynolds style, b) a Companion, like the high-class hooker Inara, c) Dr. Horrible, complete with white labcoat, black gloves and goggles or d) Drusilla, with her red and black dress and black nails and spaced look, speaking in riddles. Under the Period theme, I was thinking of going Victorian, all corsets and frilly dresses. But then again, it'll be rather confining and hot, so possibly not. And under the themes of Profession, well, I had in my mind those kinky outfits I keep seeing on eBay like the Catholic Schoolgirl, French Maid or the Playboy Bunny. Haha... But, thinking about it, wearing costumes like that will only get me into deep deep trouble. I know I'll never leave the house in any of that (interpret that however you want, heh). And then, in the miscellaneous category, I'm thinking Cleopatra or maybe a geisha in a red kimono (like the one we saw in Times Square) *smirk*.
That would be pretty cool, huh? Come as you aren't indeed. But that is all wishful thinking, and I doubt I'd ever have the chance to do something like that. Or even go out dressed like that in the first place... But it's kinda fun to think about anyway.
So Happy Halloween all, whether you celebrate it or not. Remember that there is nothing spooky about the dark other than your imagination. Face your fears. Because the Fear Demon (name Gachnar) is actually a tiny, insignificant little thing that you can crush beneath your shoe. It talks alot it does, to throw you off your game, but really, don't listen to it and you'd be better for it.
Cheers! And happy 'Trick or Treat'ing~
Love, Linzy~

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment