Saturday, June 12, 2010

Of Kebayas and Kurungs

I've been going gaga over baju kebayas and baju kurungs lately. Don't ask me why, I just am. It started, as Sarah would recall, on that day when the both of us were scrambling all over Amcorp Mall looking for something decent to wear to Fidzy's akad nikah. Me being me, I do not have that many a number of traditional dresses suited for occasions such as this. I have a few baju kurungs, yes, but they are worn out from constant use ie during my IIUM days and last resorts for weddings and the like, and I just did not have any decent ones for functions and what not lying around.

Hence began the search.

Now, like I said, I don't have that many of such dress because, well, before this, I never do have that much a reason to put one on. I'd usually have a set or two for Raya, which I would wear for that one reason, and not wear it again for the rest of the year, unless there is a wedding to go to. And it's not like I go to weddings every month. So I usually don't bother myself or my parents to get real nice expensive types. Not because I don't like them, but I just didn't want them to go to waste. And the ones I do have, I just wore them to death when I was in IIUM.

So now has come that stage in life when people around me are getting hitched one by one. And unlike the weddings of my parents' friends or relatives where I dress drably and don't give a damn, I wanna dress up to a friend's wedding. One reason being, hell, I love clothes. And any reason to go clothes shopping puts a bounce in my step. And kebayas and kurungs don't fare any less. And the other reason is because, occasions such as this is a school reunion in itself. I mean, this is when your old classmates gather to see another one in our ranks tying the knot. And I sure as Joss don't wanna look like I tumbled out of bed and into the hall. Call me vain, but I am a little. I like how clothes make me feel. They're one of the only things I splurge on myself.

Let's not discount the fact that Raya is not too far around the corner.

So off to Amcorp I went again. But not before prowling through online shops looking for a design that I would like. With an idea of what I wanted in mind, I set off to PJ. But being someone who is easily distracted by shinies (ie pretty clothes), I was sidetracked by some beautiful lace kurungs and kebayas. Definitely not what I had my mind set on, but pretty in it's own right. Too in love, I got meself a lace kebaya in cream and bronze. But I then got my eyes caught on a maroon and cream kurung. So hey, I bought meself two :)

A splurge, yes, but I am profoundly happy, and can't hardly wait for Raya to come around so that I have a reason to put them on. And oh, did I mention that I might just go buy more? No? Yes, well, I will buy more. The reasonable price and awesomely beutiful cutting and design has got me hooked. And yes, you might just see me prowling the shops again.

Love,
LinZy, lover of clothes

Discaimer: I forgot where I took the pics from, but they're not mine. Sorry to those who own it, in case you read this.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment