Thursday, June 17, 2010

Ball-istic

I have to admit that I do not fully understand why so many women have issues when the World Cup season makes its appearance. I really don't. And the bitchy bitching sessions about respective partners being too engrossed in the game deepens the desire to not even want to understand said issues.


It can get rather grating when you are subjected to the whines and complaints of these selfish brats. Even my neutrality can be tested in this situation.

Football is synonymous to the XYs. Not saying the double Xs aren't allowed in the 'Boys Only' club, but it's just that the when you say 'World Cup', you don't exactly picture a Tupperware party centering around the tv cheering on football teams. (So please excuse my stereotyping as this is mainly aimed to the gals who is getting on their men's cases.)

Now I have no quarrel with the World Cup. No resentment on my side either. It is what it is, and if you like football, hell, I mean LOVE football, I know for sure this is the ultimate event for you fans alike.

But hey, if you girls don't like it, fine. Don't make an issue out of it. Just because you're not into it, or not that much of a fan to follow each game, it doesn't give you the right to dictate what your partner should watch or do. Leave the man be, he's your partner not your dog. I'm sure you've dragged him to some movie he would rather not watch or would ever admit to have watched. Or sit him through episodes of a tv series that he secretly loathes, but puts up with cos you like it. It's about give and take.

And if you like football, and like joining in the fun, yay for you. But of course, if he wants to go out to watch it with the guys, give him that, too. I can safely assume that a rowdy time with the boys is equal to wanting to have a day out with just the girls.

Unless of course you prefer the we-do-everything-together thing, in which case I reserve all of my public comments.

Let him be himself. Let him like what he likes. As long as he isn't doing anything bad/destructive/illegal, why the bother? It's what makes him who he is. Be thankful he's not out on the prowl for some cheap fun.

Honestly, I think if you can't deal with your partner/boyfriend/husband/etc putting in some extra time for footie matches with his friends, by himself or anyone else, then you're just not woman enough.

I mean, if you already have a good relationship with one another, and you love and trust him with your all and he knows and cherishes that, then no amount of football can take away his love for you; even if his attention is divided during this very season.

Come on, World Cup is once in every four years. If you can't give him that, then I don't feature the both of you even sharing a life together.

Perhaps it's a trying time, but this could probably be that test of faith of where you two stand in your relationship. And for God's sakes, get over yourself and don't be too needy and have to rely on your man 100% of the time.

***********

Despite of all that I said above, TO EACH HIS/HER OWN. My opinions are, well, my own. They definitely do not mesh with everybody. And if you're offended by anything, hey, sorry. It's just that I am rather annoyed by some comments I've been hearing from people.

It's a different story if your partner becomes a(n) annoying/tiresome/irritable/short-tempered/grumpy/impatient/etc prick whenever the Cup makes its run. That's just a whole different ball game.

But here, I'm talking in general terms about girls who just hates the World Cup merely because it is one of the times when their man is not hanging off their arm, or at their beck and call, or doing things that they wanna do.

Me, I don't get football. Well, not football per se. I'm a woman of words, and also of expressions. And the lack of both in a display of physical movement and talent, translates to a lack of connection with me. I can watch it, sure. I can get engrossed in the competetiveness even, but I would not necessarily go out of my way to watch a game.

Asdil loves football, enjoys playing it, and he can play football games on the PS2/3 for hours. I love all things whedon, and can watch any one of his work at any time of day and at just an impulse. He gives, and I take. I give, and he takes. I think that's a fair enough deal.

And honestly, the way he gets when he's excited about a game, or when he gets all hyped, and the look on his face when he's concentrating on the match, that's pretty neat to watch :)

Love,
Linzy

Disclaimer: The photo does not belong to me, obviously. Photo is sttributed to Ina Fassbender of Reuters, via Setar.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment