Saturday, February 13, 2010

To Arms

I think anyone who has known me for a good long while knows that I am picky when it comes to music and movies and books. I would often say that having loved language and words eversince I could remember, I do not settle for any run of the mill use of words and recycled phrases.

Many people who would have come to know me long enough would have had that awkward moment when they ask "Can I have a look at your song list/movie collection?" only to find out they can find hardly anything that they would like to hear or have heard of/have seen or would like to see more than once. I get that often! Haha.

So if you have been through my DVD album, you'd notice I have a special stack which consists of war movies. Particularly movies about the Holocaust. I have Imagining Argentina, The Last Samurai, Braveheart, The Patriot, Saving Private Ryan, The Pianist, The Wind that Shakes the Barley...you get my drift.

Besides the beauty of the movie itself, the sacrifice, the power of love and pride, strength and all that depicted in the movie, I love battle scenes, in particular when it comes to the battle speech...which is the point of this entry in the first place.

Battle speeches gives me that lump in my throat and sets my heart racing, as if I am in battle and the words are setting me for the rage of the battle. Often I'd shed a tear or two at the words, feeling my spirit rise to face the impending battle, even if that fight is for naught.

So here are my top three battle speeches. The ones that made my heart stop. The ones that gave me chills. The ones I can still hear playing over and over in my mind. (Click on the quotes/character/movie for more info).

Aye, fight and you may die, run and you'll live. At least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!

Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind. That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom… Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution… but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day! 
- President Thomas J. Whitmore, Independence Day


By the way, [this blog] agrees with me.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment