Thursday, September 02, 2004

Fugitive Pieces

Surprisingly, I have nothing to say. And that’s saying something. It’s rare for me to not have anything to write about. I find it weird. Sometimes my mom would offer me a buck to keep quiet for 5 minutes. I’ve even got cello tape threats before. I know that given the right person, the right atmosphere and the right time, I can talk my heart out. And usually that leads to either someone wanting to sew my mouth shut or the person would be enlightened, although on the enlightening bit, that happens like once in a blue moon.

I guess I’m just feeling plain happy. Usually it’s when I’m sad, angry or just bitter that I start rambling. When I’m in that state, I can make words flow like water either on pieces of paper or on the screen of a monitor in time to the tapping of my fingers on the keyboard. But it seems that I am neither sad nor angry so I have nothing in particular for me to rant about.

By the way, I am currently reading this book called Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels. I have to say that this is really a breathtaking book. I mean it. Excuse my clichéd words used to describe it but I really can’t find other words. The flow of the prose is beautiful. It’s like reading poetry in prose form. I love the imagery she provides in the book. Every feeling is made substantial as if you can use all your senses to relish it. I may have not finished the book just as yet, but already I rank it as one of my favourite books. Reading this brings out the poet in you. The words that are in this book inspire the mind to write. You can’t help but want to pick up a pen and try to imitate the lyrical beauty of the story. I like this particular phrase: Sometimes the body experiences a revelation because it has abandoned every other possibility. I think that line is just so beautiful… But there are lots of other lines. All mind bending, soul searching; but to mention it here would take away what makes it so special. You have to read the book to understand why such is said.

The story is about a boy who survived the Holocaust. The entire story is about his life after the Holocaust and his search for his sister. He never knew whether his sister lived or died so he often wondered of her fate. You-Know-Who-You-Are, I know that if you’re reading this, you’ll start accusing me of being Pro-Jews and that you’ll call me and tell me that I’m a Jewish spy here to infiltrate the Holy Grounds. But I really do like reading books and watch movies or documentaries on the Holocaust. There’s nothing wrong with that. I know that I’m a Muslim and that they are Jews but Islam doesn’t promote hatred. So You-Know-Who-You-Are, I don’t see why you call me an Israeli spy.

Anyways, get this book. Seriously. You won’t regret buying this. Well, even if you do, that’s not my problem. As usual, I get my books from Payless Books where the books are so much cheaper. And of course, the best thing is that you can just pick a book at random and not feel guilty for splurging money on a book. I mean, if you were in MPH or Kinokuniya, you really have to choose your book carefully cos one book itself costs a bomb. But for me, I just stroll into Payless and grab whatever book I want. For you people who don’t know what shop in the world is Payless Books or have never entered Payless, I pity you. Especially if you’re the readalot kinda person. This shop is Heaven. I can stay in there for hours at a time. Sarah and me are Payless experts. I can tell you the genres available and where each section is. I can also tell you which Payless has the best choice of books and which Payless not to go to. But back to what I was saying, get that book: Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels.

Hmmm…I was passing by the bathroom just now and I just couldn’t believe my eyes. You know, the bathroom in my college has several sections. The outer section has a sink meant to for washing dishes and hands and there’s also a water cooler. Then there are 2 sections where they provide a big sink for you to wash clothes, and then there are the taps where you take your air sembahyang or ablution, there are sinks along with huge mirrors to wash your face and brush your teeth, there are the toilets, and of course the shower cubicles. With all these specific sections for every use, why in the world of UIA does this particular girl like to shower by the sink??? You see, almost everytime I pass by the bathroom around 6pm or so, there’ll be this girl wrapped in a kain just selambe mandi right in front of everyone. I know that she is quite amply covered but still… There’s a shower cubicle provided! And it’s not like it was full or anything! She just stands there and shampoos and scrubs for all to see. I mean, I just can’t see why she has to bathe there. It seems like a whole lotta inconvenience. Why take the trouble to use energy to lift a bucket of water onto your head when there’s a shower there for you to use where you just have to stand under it??? Why why why? I just don’t get it… The only explanation I can come up with is that she’s claustrophobic… If that’s true, I wonder how she goes to the toilet then?

Hmmm. I’ve finally figured out how the Holy Grounds is gonna exterminate us: Death by Nasyid. Yup, you read right. We’re gonna be killed slowly by nasyid. You see, they play it at the most inappropriate times. Right in the afternoon when you’re tired and want to have a short snooze and every morning starting at 7am until 8am. And it’s so LOUD! God, don’t they think. We get tired and we need rest between classes. Can’t they respect that? Seriouly, it’s so annoying. I know it’s nasyid and all that, it’s suppose to be good. But when you blare it on the speakers at such and inane time, they’ll only get cursed rather than blessed. So don’t be surprised if one day I get admitted to a mental ward or just die from such a torture.

So, well, that’s it. That’s all I have to say. Bye everyone… Have a safe weekend all. Don’t go hitting people with cars or run around in the nude during the night or sing at the top of your lungs along the corridor while doing a silly dance or run full speed into a wall or perve on fictional characters. All those and more could lead to serious injuries… Believe me. Hehe….bye people. Love ya all!

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment