Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Twenty Four on the Twenty Fifth

I've just realized that I haven't taken the time to say how wonderful a birthday I had in December. It was small and modest, but memorable nonetheless. I couldn't possibly ask for more. To be surrounded by my close family members and also have my Sayang with me was a recipe for much happiness :)

But my birthday celebration started earlier than that. It began with my Asdil's surprise dinner location on Tuesday. As soon as I got home from work, I told him I wanted to have nasi lemak at a certain shop. He wordlessly agreed and so we went out. But when we got in the car, he drove and passed by the shop with no sign of slowing down let alone stopping, I knew we were gonna go for one of his hijacking trip.

He said we were off to Johor. I would believe him. He's capable of it. But he decided not to in the end (or did he?) and took me  for a joyride, driving around on unfamiliar winding roads surrounded my jungles. Suddenly we passed by a lake and then he turned the corner and parked. Casually he said "This looks like a nice place".

It was a nice restaurant built along Tasik Idaman, it was beautiful in the twilight, with little lights lighting it up all around. The gentle waves break along the grassy banks, and the soft breeze made it all the more wonderful. It somehow felt like stepping in another world; to drive along the highway then all of a sudden end up in such a quaint little haven that was like a hideaway getaway.

The ambiance was nice. We sat at a table on a floating section right on the lake. The wind blowing was nice and cool and the purple sky was real pretty. We had a good dinner there. And I was delighted by the unexpectedness of the gesture of taking me someplace new and surprising and so beautiful. I loved it. It was certainly a beautiful night :)

I love you, Sayang *hugs*

I had another birthday surprise the very next day, as it turns out. Since the Fun Inc team organized the company's Annual Dinner earlier in December, the company brought us to TGI Friday at IOI Mall. I arrived late due to traffic and the heavy downpour. But in time to eat and finish with the rest. But I suppose while I wasn't there yet, they conspired some evil plans.

For the benefit of those who might not know, at TGIF, it it's your birthday, they will make you stand on the table or chair and make you do outrageous things. So you really have to sing for your birthday cake. And there's no getting out of it.

And that's what happened to me. I finished my food, and happily enjoyed the chatter and watched as the waiters placed little plates and dessert forks on the table. I didn't suspect anything. Until they brought out the cake. First I stared at it. And then, realization dawned. "Oh. sh*t", said I.

I was made to stand on the chair and sing Christmas songs using a ketchup bottle as a microphone. It didn't help that the TGIF there was open; meaning that people from outside could see and hear what's going on inside. Argh. And so I sang them Christmas songs...Oh, the pain.

Joo Hong and about 6 others have videos of it. Hopefully my stuttery, nervous laughter and singing doesnt end up on Youtube for laughs. Not that it is YT material to begin with, but I know these people would love to get a few laughs outta someone else's expense.

Hmmm....My next pre-birthday happiness was on Thursday, when Ash and I went to pick my birthday cupcakes from Ambition Bakers aka Fawz's (a fellow coursemate in IIUM) cakes and cupcakes shop. They were so delightfully pretty. I loved them at first sight. I chose the Red Devil Snow cupcake which is a red velvet cake base, with cream cheese frosting which was absolutely delicious. Fawz gave us a sample which Ash and I fought over in the car. Even the cup was (partly) devoured to savour the last few crumbs. Sigh...heavenliness. Fawz so definitely found returning customers in us :)

After that, it was off to Seremban for my birthday the next day.  I was a little disappointed at first, cos my plans weren't exactly happening the way I wanted to. But in the end, it turned out wonderful. I picked Ash up from the train station in Seremban around midday, and as soon as we arrived home, my mom and dad (aunt and uncle) and another aunt and uncle (from Kota Bharu) and a couple of cousins arrived. Later, my cousin and her husband and their 2 kids arrived. My house was full to the brim :))

We had the steamboat buffet that I love so much. Ate so much til I couldn't walk :p


Then when we went home, we had a whole lotta desserts to eat...the cupcakes that I was looking forward to eating. And a Secret Recipe cake my uncle bought. And lots of kuih my aunt brought from Temerloh. It was a makan fest! And Ash has so been initiated into the makan-like-a-pig family.

It was real nice. Later the guys sweat it out by playing table tennis in front of the house. it was fun watching...I played a bit, but my coordination is crap. Oh, and I have horrible depth perception (a dyslexia symptom--but that'll be in another post).

Basically, the celebration was 2 days, with lots of food involved. I cannot even begin to describe all the food we ate. I know Ash was so full he felt it for days. Hehe... But it was all good.

Thank you everybody for a wonderful birthday celebration. Turning 24 and being surrounded by people I love is all I could ever really want. Really. Love you.


Love,
Hazlin

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment