Thursday, November 19, 2009

Escaping the Flood


Place: Authors A-K, Fiction aisle, Borders, The Curve

Time: 9.10 pm

Attendance: Meself and a copy of Margaret Atwood's "After the Flood" in my hand.

Okay, talking about escaping the "flood" is rather distasteful in light of the flash floods happening up north. It makes me feel like I am taking people's plight lightly while they are really suffering a flood. So excuse me, for while I am throwing the word around carelessly, I am not at all wanting to be insensitive.

The "flood" I am talking about here is Margaret Atwood's latest book "The Year of the Flood". I love the works of Margaret Atwood. I love her writing, the way she writes, the words she uses and the thoughts she invokes. Her writing usually leaves me with a full feeling; like I just had a huge dinner and I'm feeling content and letting it lazily digest as I relive the best flavours. Her writing is simply delectable.

I particularly love her poetry, her short stories and her dystopian novels. Not so much the other novels, although they too have their allure. But her dystopian novels are beautifully engaging and leaves you on a sort of high. Oryx and Crake was the first novel I read by her. Previously I read and loved her poetry, but Oryx and Crake left me aching for more. When I discovered The Handmaid's Tale, I just needed more from her. And I never knew that she was writing The Year of the Flood til that night when I went to Kinokuniya to pick up my latest Buffy Season 8 comic. It was only released last month, hence it being hardcover and my not knowing about it.

I wanted it. I craved for it. Why? Because it was another dystopian novel by Atwood. And not just any, but a sequel to Oryx and Crake. Oh how I wanted it. But at RM 109, that was a luxury that I couldn't afford.

But when I went to Borders, I saw that it cost RM87, with a discount with any other purchase. I wanted it... But as much as it was cheaper, and I could have bought it then, I knew it was too much to pay all at once for just one book. Sigh... It took all my willpower and self-reasoning to let go, as Ash tore me away from the book.

I survived that flood. As much as I was drowning in the want of it, I survived and I am here...without the book.

Although, I am planning to get it for my birthday next month. A little birthday treat to myself...Oh how I can't wait.

Linzy~

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment